Skip to main content

How can I request a name change?

Published: 16 July 2021 Last updated: 22 July 2021

IT Service

Back to FAQs homepage | Back to / category


Staff members can change their names for various reasons, and may want to update the University’s IT systems to reflect the changes.

To do this, you will need to contact H.R. with legal proof of name change, e.g. a marriage certificate. H.R. will be able to advise further on accepted documentation.

One that is done, you can log a ticket to change your name on our systems through the IT self-service portal.

How useful was this FAQ?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this FAQ.

We are sorry that this FAQ was not useful for you.

Your feedback helps us improve our content.

Please let us know what was wrong.

Back to top